Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Denis Johnson

Just finished reading Johnson's short story collection, Jesus' Son. I know he has just put out a 600 page opus on Vietnam and, if length is not your style, check out this collection. His writing has a Hemmingway sparseness with matching intensity. He has the ability to put you THERE, as the reader. Poe talked about the Single Effect, where disbelief is suspended, and Johnson hits this perfectly. You start each story able to jump into place with the characters. His world is dark but interesting. I recommend this to anyone wanting a clinic on the short story. Dirty Wedding topped out as my favorite selection.
On the writing front, I've backed off slightly on submissions for the moment to focus on my fourth longer length work. I'm about 200 pages into it and am really excited to see how it will work out. I've taken a different approach to the narrative this time and it has made things easier and freed up a little more creativity.
I wrote a fan letter to Chuck Palahniuk, the author of Fight Club, last year and he replied with a letter of his own and a box of goodies. His letter advised to make sure I keep writing fun. I think it is valuable advice for everyone in the craft. The novel in progress has been the most fun yet and I hope it shows through the text.
On a personal note, we are two months away from the arrival of our son! I am nervous and happy and excited all at once. The gravity of the situation weighs on my soul and I'm sure it will be an amazing day to meet him in person when he arrives.

-Matt

No comments: